Then Jesus said to those who had believed him, “If you continue to follow my teaching, you are really my disciples and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” John 8:31-32 (NET)
Notice two kinds of people here: believers and those who are true disciples. This may shock some of you, but
not everyone who believes in Jesus is a follower of Jesus. Understanding that difference is crucial to living an Inspired Life.
“Do you believe that there is only one God? Good! The demons also believe—and tremble with fear.” James 2:19-26 (GNT)
Jesus calls us to more than belief. He calls us to be His disciples.
What’s a disciple? There is much to say about that word, but the idea is one who FOLLOWS a master’s way of life and teaching. “Disciple” makes us think of the twelve disciples, because they forsook everything and followed Jesus. The heart of discipleship is FOLLOWING.
How are disciples different from believers?
1. THE CROSS: Believer look to the cross. A Disciple pick up the cross (Matthew 16:22-24).
2. OBEDIENCE: A Believer obeys God if it’s convenient. A Disciple obeys no matter the outcome.
3. DECISIONS: A Believer decides once, A Disciple decides daily.
4. FOCUS: Believers focus on eternal life, A Disciple focus on eternal rewards.
5. PRAYER: A Believer prays when things get tough. A Disciple prays no matter the circumstance.
6. SCRIPTURE: A Believer twists the Bible to fit his or her lifestyle. A Disciple works to make his or her lifestyle resemble the teachings of the Bible.
7. ETERNAL IMPACT: Believers make heaven. Disciples make history.
Are you following Christ, or are you merely a believer? You have a huge decision to make, but it will be worth everything you have to gain what only Christ can give you.